Monday, August 25, 2008

LT at the DNC (day 1)

(note: this is a photo of a mural or banner hanging on the side of a building on 18th between Chapma and Stout) It's now the evening of the first night of the DNC in Denver. We're at home (in bed before 8!) watching the news coverage. Federico Peña was just on being interviewed and Kari said, "that guy used to be my neighbor when I was growing up. Isn't that crazy? He used to give out apples for Halloween and I hated it!" We're really tuned into politics...


Last night LT was getting into the sprit with the DNC donkey his grandma gave him. The donkey has a little DNC shirt on with a sticker on the back that says "proudly assembled in the USA." However, the tag on the donkey says, "made in China." I guess it means that the stuffed animal was actually manufactured in China where the workers are paid about 50 cents/hr and the little shirt was quickly put on the animal in the USA for $6.55/hr. I'm not sure what to make of that exactly but I don't think it really counts as "keeping jobs at home."

My whole office is working remotely this week in an attempt to avoid the craziness of downtown (I make just slightly more than $6.55/hr though I have a hard time convincing people I'm worth it). Curiosity got the better of me, however, and I was downtown at The Market at 6 am this morning. Not much happening yet at that time of day so after a few cups of coffee and some work I headed to the gym. Last time Barack was in Denver he was spotted on a treadmill at the DAC so I thought it was worth a shot. No luck. After working out I took the scooter down Colfax to meet with Peter and discuss some work stuff (unfortunately I have to actually work during all this too - that $6.55/hr doesn't earn itself you know!).

Then I headed back downtown to meet up with LT, Mia, Z and their mommas to take in some of the action. LT wore his shades so he'd look cool just in case he ran into one of Barack's daughters.

This was the only shot I got of all six of the together.

We didn't see any big name politicians (other than Abe Lincoln, of course) or celebrities but I did spot a few religious zealots.

All in all I was kind of disappointed because I was expecting more crazies and dirty hippies causing trouble downtown. I can only guess that the patrols that Peter photographed the night before (see picture below) beat them all up and took 'em to 'Gitmo on the Platte'.



This photo courtesy of motyka.org from this post from yesterday.*


I saw a few hybrid Tahoes around which I suppose is better than the full on Suburban but apparently this particular convention goer is taking 'going green' a little more seriously than others.



* and by 'courtesy of' what I really mean is that I stole** the picture.

** and by 'stole' what I really mean is that I stole it.

No comments: