Monday, February 4, 2008

Proud of the little guy

Crawling is one of the things that LT isn't yet doing. As parents, it's not always easy but we are doing our best not to worry too much about the various developmental milestones (or be competitive about them with other babies/parents). He'll do things when he's ready - that's our motto. My parents tell me that I was late (sometimes very late) to do many things and I turned out alright (or so I'd like to think).

That said, we do still do some things to encourage him. For example, in an attempt to provide some motivation for crawling, I've been putting toys just outside his reach. The first few times I did this he took the bait and rolled up on all fours to try and get the toy. However, he crashed on his face shortly after.


Apparently he grew tired of smashing his face on the floor so rather than trying to go to the toy, he figured he'd just bring the toy to him. We usually spread out a little blanket or something under him when he plays and he decided to pull the blanked towards him and bring the toy with it - problem solved. Brilliant!

Honestly, I was really proud of the little man. Much more so than if he had crawled all the way across the room to get something. I guess I was proud because it's exactly the kind of thing I'd do. You might call it lazy but I like to think of it as innovative.


Below is an action sequence of the little guy "thinking outside the box." These pictures aren't from the original event but LT was kind enough to do a recreation for me when the camera was available.

1 comment:

Shawn Gallego said...

I never doubt that LT will be brillant, like his mom! Just kiddin' Bri. I am sure he will be quite the man, in a decade or two.