Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Logan School and ISR

Who would have thought these two had anything in common, but today they crossed paths in my world. I was offered a part time job next year teaching 2 mornings a week at the Logan School. I had a meeting scheduled today (being Thursday) with the headmaster. The Logan School is across town in Lowry. In an attempt to make the best use of gas and time, I decided to go to the Denver Athletic Club on my way to swim while Landon was napping at home with dad. I got in the pool and swam a 200 before realizing that the woman who teaches ISR (Infant Swimming Resource) was walking into the pool. My heart raced and I got an awful feeling in my stomach. I had attempted a swim last week, only to be disrupted by screaming infants. Seeing that I can't let my own child cry in his crib for more than 60 seconds, you can imagine what I felt like being so helpless, seeing little tiny babies being forced face down in the water with the hopes/belief that they would turn over. I don't like to be dunked in the water and I can only imagine how terrifying it is for a 6 month old who has no choice and no control. The screaming and crying hadn't left my mind since my last encounter with ISR and so when I saw the teacher of ISR walk in today, I instantly got out of the pool and raced as fast as I could to the locker room. The locker room is 3 doors away from the pool and yet, with the shower on and 3 doors closed, I could still hear the poor baby screaming in the pool. I took a very fast shower and got dressed as quickly as I could. Instead of going to the Logan School as was my plan, I ran home to give little LT a hug and a kiss, hold him and assure him we would NEVER take him to ISR lessons(yes, I am a crazy mom). Brian and I are devising a way to kindly approach the DAC regarding this matter. They hold these swim lessons 5 days a week for 3 1/2 hours each day (each child is only in the "lesson" for 10 minutes). I have to believe I am not the only one who is so traumatized by this situation. Brian and I have both been lifeguards, taught swim lessons, coached swimming and believe in teaching children water safety at an early age. However, this type of "lesson" does not sit well with me. In doing some research today and reading parent reviews of ISR, it seems one of two things happens when babies are given these lessons. One, it makes children and mothers overconfident and babies wander into water unsupervised (a baby might be able to turn over after taking these lessons, but they sure won't swim to the wall). The second outcome is a hatred and fear of water. Neither of these situations is appealing for us. What happened to good old fashioned supervision of your child?
After a quick visit and a hug and kiss with Landon, I did manage to make my way to the Logan school and am very excited about my opportunity for next year.

Instead of ISR, Landon and I have fun in the water together and read books about water animals, much more enjoyable for me. I love this picture too because LT is sitting cross legged for the first time as he listens to whale sounds (thanks Dylan! We love this book).

1 comment:

Brian said...

For the record: I have lifeguarded and taught swim lessons to kids of many different ages. I even competed in swimming and diving when I was younger. However, I've never been a coach.

Marty, one of my former coaches, might have some ideas as to why I was never asked to be a coach myself.