Thursday, August 9, 2007

How far we've come already

Everyone always jokes about how the new baby doesn't come with an owner's manual. It's a funny joke but there's some truth to it - one of the most important things we'll ever do in life, raising a child, and we have to figure out how to do an awful lot of it on our own. I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing and am just making most of it up as I go along. I don't expect that feeling to go away anytime soon (18+ years) and I have no doubt that it's a universal feeling among parents.

Occasionally, however, little things happen that allow us a moment to appreciate how much we have learned about parenting already. I had one of those moments while in California over the weekend, pictured below, when I got to watch Steve and Madeleine try and get Landon dressed.
I can dress a baby. I wouldn't have considered that a skill that you have to learn but it undoubtedly is. Watching Steve and Mad stumble and bumble their way though it for nearly 25 minutes proved that to me.

In their defense, they weren't going for a time record and there were no points for style. Steve's criteria for success was modest - that the baby got dressed and that the baby didn't cry.

Success!




No comments: