Thursday, August 18, 2011

Bike Crashes and fun

We got to watch my friends kids, Phoenix and Tino yesterday while their mom worked. Tino and LT are just weeks apart in age and Phoenix loves taking care of little kids. As Tino and LT dug in dirt and biked around, Phoenix took care of Adler. Tino and Phoenix showed up that morning with their bikes. Within minutes of arriving, they all had their helmets on ready to ride to the park. Its only a few blocks.
Phoenix took Adler over to the side of the park to watch all the construction happening on Tennyson St. LT and Tino continued driving trucks in the sand. After an hour or so at the park, they all started breaking down and saying they were hungry. We began packing up, putting on helmets and getting ready to leave. As I was trying to get LT on his bike, Tino crashed and split his lip and scraped his knee. He's such a tough kid, he cried for a minute, then stood up ready to ride his two wheeler (no training wheels) home. We were on our way. LT can be pretty stubborn and earlier in the day I had showed him Tinos bike, saying that if he learned how to ride a bike with pedals he could go super fast. LT took that as a challenge that he was going to beat everyone on his running bike. He took off as fast as he could from the park and down the block. A few minutes later, crash! He was down, crying and screaming. I pushed Adler as fast as I could to get to LT and as I got close, I let go of the handle on Adlers bike and he crashed too. My two were crying, Phoenix was the only one left not bloody. Eventually we made it home, ate a good snack and decided to move on to toys in the basement.
After lunch, they wanted to go outside, so we went out back. The day before we had a playdate at our house. I had the water table open with dishes to be washed. These four found all the scrubbies and decided they needed to "clean" the whole backyard.
The table was washed really well, but only in places 4 and 6 year olds could reach.
Adler was as happy as can be with all these big kids to follow around.
Despite all the bike crashes earlier, they were determined to convince me to let them bike again. On went the helmets for the rest of the playdate.
Phoenix really wanted me to take a picture of Adler hugging her, this was the best I could do.
Happy crew, helmets on.

No comments: