Monday, December 17, 2007

Dog Fight

No, not the kind of dog fight you get 23 months in federal prison for.

Sam, my mom's dog (pictured at right) loves his rawhide bones - I mean he really really loves them. On Wednesday morning Sam was enjoying his treat when Bowen decided that he might also like to have Sam's bone. As you might expect, Sam disagreed with Bowen on this particular issue. One thing led to another and before we knew it we had a dog fight on our hands. Conventional wisdom suggests that you shouldn't reach in and try and break up such a fight but I've never seen conventional wisdom prevail in such situations. My mom, Kari and I jumped in to try and break it up (until I realized that LT was on the floor in the middle of the action so I grabbed him and pulled him to safety). Not to be ignored, conventional wisdom showed why it became convention in the first place and my mom ended up with a pretty good bite on her hand.

Once the dust had settled a bit (LT was safe and Bo and Sam had been separated) I was getting ready to take my mom to the ER* and I noticed little Hailie in the corner all by herself looking a little suspicious. I went to check on her and, sure enough, she was happily chewing on Sam's bone - she had waited until the fight was over, the boy dogs were in trouble, and the rest of us were distracted before she made her move. I was so impressed with her crafty little plan that I almost let her keep it. Almost.

A while back I commented on Bowen's choice of sleep location and said he was the only one of use with any sense but apparently I didn't give Hailie enough credit because sure showed some cunning with this move.
In the picture below Hailie is demonstrating her smarts by hanging around LT while he eats - she knows this strategy will surely pay big dividends in the not too distant future.


* The ER visit was mostly just precautionary - they cleaned the wounds out and gave her some antibiotics - no stitches or anything.

No comments: