Friday, July 27, 2007

Fire Truck!


I called 911 for the first time in my life today.

Just when it was starting to feel like nothing interesting was happening lately, we woke up this morning to a car fully engulfed in flames near the little park by our house.

It was just after 5am and when I realized (more or less) what was going on and I grabbed my cell phone and ran out side. I called 911 and was shortly assured that a fire truck was on the way. During the call I gave them the cross streets where the car was and then they asked me to describe the car. I didn't think much of it at the time and told them it was an older model Oldsmobile or Cadillac but looking back I'm a bit perplexed by the question. Describe the car? Yeah, well it's the one that's on fire. Yep, uh-hun, the only one on fire. Did the dispatcher think that the fire crew was going to have trouble distinguishing the vehicle with 18 feet of flames and smoke barreling out of it from the other cars on that corner? Strange. But that oddness aside - the fire fighters came quickly and put the blaze out like they do this kind of thing everyday (which I guess they do). No one was in the car and no one was hurt. So it all had a happy ending, I guess.

I returned home to find Kari perparing to evacuate Landon and the dogs. The protective instinct of mom is very strong. And very endearing.

Too bad Landon is not old enough to be into fire trucks yet. My mom and Helen Boyd will tell you that I was a very big fan of fire trucks when I was a youngster. Apparently I had a little trouble pronouncing the "tr" park of the word "truck" and went with an "f" sound instead. Readers at home can sound it out for themselves.


No comments: