Saturday, May 31, 2008

Date night at Gemelli’s

Kar and I had decided to go on a little date Friday night (with LT) but hadn't decided where we'd go. When I left work we were still undecided. We were going to figure it out when I got home but in the short 15 minutes it took me to commute, little Mr. LT had arranged a date of his own! With LT in my arms we walked the few blocks to one of our new favorites, Gemelli's on 43rd and Tenn, to meet little Mis. Mia (oh, and Steve and Anna too).

I haven't used (abused) this blog as a forum for my aspiring restaurant review career in quite a while but wanted to take a moment to give Gemelli's the nod. Honestly, I don't generally even like Italian restaurants all that much but everything I've had at Gemelli's has been really excellent.

The staff is friendly and great with the little ones. We've only been there a few times and already they seem to know what we usually drink and what our preferences are - a nice touch for a neighborhood restaurant.

About the only problem I see with Gemelli's is that, because it's so close, we could end up spending a lot of money there. It's actually pretty reasonably priced for good Italian food but still more expensive than the abundance of good Mexican food around. And the ambiance at Gemelli's just sort of calls out for you to stay for a bit and relax over a few drinks. So we usually do and it starts to add up. We'll have to try not to go all the time.

I read in Westword that Gemelli's is part owned by the former owner of Poggio's which only further endears it to me. In our lives before LT, Kari and I would walk the dogs down to Poggio's to get coffee on Friday mornings before work and I have very fond memories of the place. As I understand it Poggio's closed due to skyrocketing rent in the 32nd and Lowell area - it's really a shame to have lost the little cafe but if Gemelli's is its second life, then it's not all bad.

Anyway, back to the date...

LT and Mia had a little moment during dinner.


This may have been another little moment or Mia might have just been trying to snatch LT's blueberry. Although it would be a pretty big deal if he let her have the it, because he *loves* his blueberries and doesn't part with them easily.


Most of LT's friends have recently, or are just about to, turn one year old. So lately LT has been practicing his game face to make sure he's ready for birthday party season.


Well-mannered as she is, Mia politely showed interest in LT's latest pursuit and even tried out a game face of her own. Slowly at first (above) but after just a little practice...



She's clearly a natural!

No comments: