Saturday, May 9, 2015

what really killed off the dinosaurs


The mass extinction of the dinosaurs some 66 million years ago captures people's imaginations and fuels scientific debate. To this day there is not clear consensus about what really killed off the dinosaurs. 

But I know.

I know the truth.

*sigh*

It was Chima.



For well over a year Alder was completely obsessed with dinosaurs. Absolutely obsessed.  And I'll happily admit that I enjoyed his obsession. I loved reading countless books with him, looking up fact after fact on the internet, visiting the museum, and even accompanying him in his ridiculous imaginary dino play. It was fun to engage with him, to see his passion, and to learn or relearn for myself about the slice of nearly unbelievable history of our little planet. I was incredibly proud of Adler when he not only talked his teachers into doing a special unit on dinosaurs at school but then managed to get all the kids in his class genuinely excited about it. He didn't just talk his friends into following his interests but rather inspired a genuine excitement in them from his own passion. 

Then along came Chima. Or "f@&*ing Chima" as Kari and I sometimes call it while not in earshot of the kids.

"Lego Legends of Chima" is themed line of Legos. The folks at Lego have done an incredible job of building an entire world of sales and marketing around it with books, TV shows, video games and more to supplement the toys themselves. I can see how a kid could be drawn in. But from my perspective, it's a real step down from dinosaurs. The Chima characters are shallow and trite while the stories are uninspired and formulaic. 

Alder's love for dinosaurs has all but been replaced by a love for Chima. And, like the real extinction of the dinosaurs, it happened relatively quickly. It could be worse, I know, but I miss the dinos. 

     

No comments: