Thursday, December 10, 2009

What was I thinking?

One of our neighborhood coffee shops sponsored a "sleigh ride" event last night, free, with hot chocolate and fun for the kids. It looked and sounded like a ton of fun and with the frigid air temperatures outside, I honestly didn't think many people would go. The intention had been to meet up with a couple of LTs buds, but they were all smart and stayed inside. We went back and forth on whether or not it was worth braving the below zero temps (with wind chill), but ultimately had already mentioned it to LT and he wasn't letting us skip out. So... we bundled the kids up. Adler in TWO snowsuits, LT in his boots, snow pants, hat, gloves (I realized I need to buy him some legitimate mittens) and warm coat. Brian and I made sure the kids were plenty warm (or as warm as they could be) and didn't think about ourselves as much. I don't think Brian even had gloves. We arrived at the coffee shop and saw the long line outside for the ride and got into it. Bri took Adler inside with Baba and LT and I braved the cold waiting. The carriage ride was 10 minutes each, taking only 5 or 6 kids at a time. After about 30 minutes of LT waiting, I realized how long this was going to take and I sent him in to stay warm and I stayed in the line. Baba came out awhile later and stood in line so I could warm up a bit. Finally, after close to 2 hours of waiting, we got on the carriage. By this point, LT was starving and exhausted. He got in the carriage and burst into tears for the remainder of the ride. The ride home wasn't much better and then he proceeded to have a full exhaustion/hunger induced tantrum, one I have only seen one time before. Was it worth it? Well, to LT, yes. He has told me today how much fun he had, apparently he forgot all the bad parts of it. I haven't, but if he had fun in his mind, it was worth it. I think I am just starting to get feeling back into my fingers and toes, more than 24 hours later.

LT bundled up inside Cafe Cafe.
Adler bundled and passed out in the bjorn. I don't think he cared one bit where we were or how cold it was outside, he was snuggled inside with his dada.
Self portrait minutes before boarding the carriage.
I love this picture. Just a glimpse into how cold the air was.


LT and I as we took off on the ride, around the block.

No comments: