Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day

I hadn't been able to hear out of my right ear for over a week and finally decided to get over my general distrust of just about everything and go to one of those urgent care clinics to get checked out. Turns out that my mistrust was misplaced, in this case anyway, because the people at the clinic downtown were friendly and professional and I left with my hearing restored (I'll not bore/disgust you with the details).

Unfortunately that wouldn't be my only trip to a doctor today and the second trip would be on behalf of LT rather than me. I was just about to say that today was our first trip to to the ER with LT when I remembered that, thanks to our adventures in Mexico, today has to be qualified as our first trip to an *American* ER.

Even though we try and discourage it, most of the babies love to play in the dog water dishes which usually makes a big slippery mess. Just a few weeks ago Z slipped and fell on a dog water puddle but was ok after a little TLC from mom. LT did the same thing today while I was at my own doctor but he cut his lip on the corner of the raised water holder thing (I don't know how else to describe it). It wasn't such a bad cut that we immediately knew would it would require medical attention but it was bad enough that we decided it would be safer to have him checked out. It's funny how different making those kinds of decisions are when they are about your child and not yourself. We don't want to be those crazy parents who take their kid to the doctor every other day for no reason but we also don't ever want to deprive LT of care when he really needs it - we are often second guessing ourselves over such decisions. Today was no different but eventually we decided to take him to the Children's Hospital network location in Wheat Ridge. I'm glad we did because little LT now has three stitches in his lip. I can't say it was a fun experience but LT was a tough little guy and the people at Children's were great.

LT practiced his rooster sounds for his mom and the nurse.

The little guy was in pretty good spirits at the doctor.

LT got a topical anesthetic so he didn't have to get a shot! But we had to go on a little walk to distract him from messing with it while it took effect.



One nice thing about Children's is that they have stuff for kids. Lots of fun toys to play with while we waited and the yummy animal crackers helped LT (not to mention Kari and I) feel better on the way home.

No comments: