Sunday, June 8, 2014

only one trip to the hardware store


Yesterday was a pretty special day for me.

Not because we now have a trampoline in our yard, something I always wanted when I was a kid and can now enjoy vicariously through my kids (and not just vicariously either - I get to jump on it too).

And not because we assembled the whole thing in just one day (Mike Mulligan style!) with relatively few issues - we only had to make on trip to the hardware store to replace a locknut we lost in the grass.

What was so special for me was that my boys and I worked together to assemble the whole thing and they were genuinely helpful. They've "helped" with lots of little projects over the years but that help is usually anything but helpful. Today was different. Really I noticed the difference with LT but even Adler did some useful stuff and didn't interfere (see the photo of him digging with his little trucks) when he wasn't working with us. And LT surprised me at every turn with what he was able to do or ideas he had for how to approach things. Spending the day working on this together with him was just a really enjoyable and rewarding experience. He seemed to have fun doing it too, which just made it all the better for me.

I don't always feel like I come by parenthood very naturally and, it's hard to admit but, there are times when it's not particularly enjoyable for me. But neither was the case yesterday - it was one of the best, most pleasant and fulfilling days I can remember having in a long time.














No comments: