Saturday, January 23, 2010

Stock Show

LTs new school had a field trip to the stock show last Friday. Brian and I are not fans of the stock show, its crowded, stinky, chaotic and a variety of other negative adjectives in our minds. Steven, however, loves the stock show. I thought I would get away with just sending LT with Steve this year, but, nope. I headed back again this year with LT and his class. We met up with his class early, before everything opened. We all started out together, but within minutes, it was just Zack, LT, Shawn and I, lost from our group. First stop, duck game. Luckily the boys aren't quite old enough to know that the game really involves paying money to choose a duck and possibly win a prize. To them, just watching the ducks swim around was enough.
LT checking out the cooped up chickens.
They have all kinds of kid friendly things to do. Our little engineers were immediately drawn to the train ride. Luckily, we were the first and only kids in line and the man running it let the boys go around and around and around, for a very long time. LT was very serious (as usual), making sure I wasn't too far away, while Z laughed and smiled the whole ride.

After awhile, we wandered into an exhibit and I am not sure what set LT off, but he insisted that we leave immediately and find something else. Shawn and Z stayed. That left LT and I to wander the thousands and thousands of square feet and check out some other things. After racing through the horrific smelling cattle grooming area, we found our way into the retail section of the show. LT found this globe filled with stuffing. He kept pushing the button on it, hoping something would happen. I didn't tell him that you had to put money in AND buy an unfilled stuffed animal in order for it to work. I'm not sure how many more years I will be able to trick him into this sort of thing. He was happy just watching it.
Next stop, the John Deere tractors. When I found out I was having a boy, I was super excited, thinking I could really relate to boys better than girls. What I didn't realize was that along with boys came trucks, tractors, trains, cars, etc. I have quickly had to learn the names of these vehicles. LT helps me out when I am not sure.
I have to secretly admit, however, that a great memory of mine as a kid was visiting our farms in Iowa and driving the tractors with the farmers.
Soon after our adventure alone, we met back up with a few of the kids in the class for snack. Above is Jack, Zack and LT enjoying a little snack. After this, the boys wanted to play on the playground there and about 5 minutes into playing, LT announced he wanted to go home. It was more than enough time for me, but I was happy to see my little boy so happy.

No comments: