Friday, May 29, 2009

A full day with mom

LT and I usually have a regular playdate on Thursday mornings with a few of his friends. However, this week, due to different circumstances, it was canceled. LT and I were left with the most perfect weather and a full day to hang out together. I asked LT what he wanted to do and he said, "see monkeys", so we headed to the zoo. I didn't realize that it was a free day for the elderly. We were there early enough, however, that we headed straight to the primate section (which is at one end of the zoo) and ended up having it entirely to ourselves. A gorilla came right up to the window and gave LT a kiss and showed him his breakfast. LT wasn't phased, but I was a little freaked out by the size of this massive primate only a thin piece of glass away.
As usual, LT found little rocks to play with and spent most of the first part of our time just picking them up and putting them in new places.After seeing all the monkeys, we headed to the flamingo exhibit (LT says flamingo in the most adorable way, I won't even do it justice trying to write it, but hopefully you all will hear him say it!) I asked LT what he saw and he said, flamingos and "nemo swimming in water".
This "yittle" cat was pacing back and forth by the window. LT really wanted to pet it. He loves cats despite the rest of our family's dislike for them (mostly due to severe allergies and Bowen's desire to eat them). My good friend and neighbor luckily has two cats that LT loves playing with, and so I don't feel too badly depriving him of a cat. It wouldn't be a trip anyplace without LT having to stop for lots of snacks. He found this nice bench in the shade and asked for his Elmo backpack (which he knows is always stocked with yummy snacks).
When the zoo just got too busy, we headed home for lunch and naptime. But the day wasn't over. My mom suggested taking him to the train museum in Golden (I never knew it even existed, thank goodness for grandmas!) The entrance has a whole gift shop (mostly Thomas items) and a Thomas track set up. LT would have spent the entire time at the Thomas table, but luckily we pryed him away enough to see a few big trains before the museum closed.
My mom has more energy than anyone I know. She works 10-12 hour days (starting no later than 6 AM), picking up the elderly and performing physical therapy with them all day. She also rides her bike 60-80 miles a few times a week, helps my brother and I with anything we ask and loves having friends over and entertaining (which she does fairly often). That doesn't stop her from climbing up and onto all these trains (often with 2 foot steps) carrying my 25 lb son with her to teach him all about how the trains work. They had a blast together.


I often find myself too busy for my liking and not doing things just for LT. Days like this remind me how much fun we have together just exploring different parts of Denver! At the end of our time together, I headed out for some alone time at yoga. LTs day didn't stop though. Brian took him to the grocery store and they got some fried chicken. I don't think Brian took any pictures or videos, but he came home and told me that LT ran around the store yelling, "FRIED CHICKEN, I YIKE IT!" LT must get his energy from grandma.

No comments: