Saturday, September 1, 2018

Iceland-last day

 We had planned on staying in Hofn for 2 nights and then driving the 6 plus hours back to catch our flight.  We changed plans because: 1) Hofn, besides the food, wasn't really that great.  2) The place we were staying wasn't that great.  3), 6 plus hour drive, plus an 8 hour flight sounded like too much sitting for this active girl.  But the most important reason is that somehow my desire to go to the bathing river didn't translate in Brian's brain.  It was my number one request and it was well worth abandoning our plans and changing course.  We made the drive back to Rejkevik after breakfast in Hofn.  It was a LONG drive, beautiful, but long.  Eventually we got to the hike/river bathing I had read about, Reykjadalur.  I thought I had read about a remote, unknown spot, but I was wrong.  We pulled up and the parking lot looked like that of a 14er in the summer in Colorado.  I was second guessing my demand, but since we were there, we began the hike.  I also thought the hike was short, but I was wrong about that also.  It was a steep climb (3miles each way I'd guess).  


 Eventually it plateaus and you walk along the edge of a cliff for awhile.  
 And then hot spots begin appearing.
 Hard to see, but the sheep in the steam of the hot pot was such a cool sight.


 After awhile on that flatter trail along various hot spots, you round a corner and see bunch of people, soaking in the river, or naked, changing on the side.  I had also read that's just what you do, change in front of everyone.  We were both a bit hesitant, but ultimately just went for it and hopped in the perfectly warm water to relax.  The whole trip had so many highlights, but this was in the top 3 for sure.


And we ended our last day with yummy soup in a bread bowl, of course.

No comments: