Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Food in Iceland

 I didn't know what to expect when it came to food in Iceland, except that I was sure it was going to be all fish and pretty terrible and extremely expensive (the expensive part was true).  My brother would tease me about the fermented shark (we came to find out this was just for tourists, not a native food) and sheep head (which we only saw on one menu).  The food there was not only edible, it was seriously some of the best food we've ever had in our lives.  It was an easy place to eat Vegan, vegetarian, gluten free etc.  Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of all our food (because in all honesty, it drives me crazy when people post pictures of their food), but I did take a few to remember the most amazing restaurants.  Above and below was a restaurant called Gott, in the Westman Islands.  We went twice, for each dinner.  I got vegan meals both nights, a stew the first night and this spicy bean burger the second.  

 We didn't get donuts while we were there, but these were just at a stand near a waterfall.
 We stopped at Mia's fish and chips food truck.  Again, literally a food truck on the side of a road (I had read about it) that only serves fish and chips.  Neither Brian nor I like fish and chips but I wanted to have them while we were there.  It was really yummy!  But... given that I don't eat heavy fried food (like, ever), I had a horrible stomach ache that night while ruined what would have been an amazing meal.  
 This was in Hofn, at what looked like an old run down pizza hut from the outside.  Brian got some combo of meats and potatoes.
 I got friend feta cheese and soup.  

And our beloved soup bowls.  

No comments: