Saturday, July 2, 2011

Lake to Lake Triathlon!

On June 25th, I did the olympic distance Lake to Lake triathlon up in Loveland. Not only was this the first olympic distance tri I have done since the boys were born, it was Bri's first night with both boys alone! Madeleine and I drove up Friday night and met some friends and stayed overnight. The race was a very early start and neither one of us wanted to get up earlier than need be. Brian and the boys (and dogs) did great and Madeleine and I had a blast on race day. I wish I could have carried a camera on the bike course because it was beautiful. The swim was in a lake in Loveland and then we biked on winding country roads north to Horsetooth Reservoir and back. The run partly ran around the lake we swam in, wound through neighborhoods and back. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of Madeleine and I before or after the race, but I took a few pictures of the transition area before the race.
This race is a qualifier race, which means it attracts some incredible athletes. It was really fun to watch the elite group swim, but after that, I never saw them! The bike course was a circle and by the time I was back to begin the run, they were long done. The other amazing thing about this race is that they include disabled athletes. There were several dads who pulled and pushed their completely paralyzed children through the course. I also saw a blind athlete who completed the entire race with a guide. I was proud of myself for finishing the race, but these people blew me away! On my run, I was running just in front of a father pushing his 8 year old child in a stroller (the boy couldn't walk or talk at all). As his father told him they were almost done, the child began screeching in excitement. How lucky for both of them to have each other and compete together.

No comments: