Tuesday, July 20, 2010

July in the mountains

We went up to Silverthorne this past weekend (plus a few extra days) to help a friend celebrate his wedding in Breckenridge. The wedding weekend backed up to a conference Bri had in Keystone this week and so we were able to spend a little extra time up there seeing Grandpa and Baba and exploring the mountain air. Of course, I didn't bring a camera, but these are just a few random shots from my camera phone again.
Adler sleeping at the wedding with daddy.
Buffalo mountain.... ahh. This is my favorite mountain. Maybe its just its pure beauty as you drive down from Eisenhower tunnel or maybe its all my childhood memories of it. Probably a combination. When I was young, we had a house very close to the base of Buffalo. My dad used to take our family on hikes in the area (which I fondly remember). We have summited it as a family. It just brings back nothing but good memories. As the boys and I drove into Summit County on Friday, its presence was just magical, draped by the bluest of blue skies. The picture above was actually taken on a run I went on Sunday morning close to Baba and Grandpas homes. I love that even though my parents don't have their home up there anymore, the boys and I can still experience its peacefulness as we visit with Baba and Grandpa.
On a funny note, LT looked at it and said, "wow, that is really high, you probably have to take an airplane to get up there!"
Adler on a hike.

Baba's friends in the mountains do a week long "grandma camp". You have to be four to go. It happens to be this week. Of course LT is too young this year, but hes already signed up for next year with Baba. However, he got a sneak peak at a duck race game the kids will be doing in the little river. One of the grandmas was organizing this game and let LT try. He tossed the ducks in announcing their number and then they were retrieved a a few feet down stream by a little girl and the whole thing started again.
Baba's friend Pinky and her husband have a great train set in their basement. They also have two grandsons about LTs age and a grand daughter just 3 days younger than LT. The boys played in Pinky's basement for quite some time. This is Sam and LT playing the model train set.
My dad drove up Monday morning for a bike ride. Bri had taken the day off and Baba offered to watch the boys, so the three of us went for a beautiful ride. It started out very windy, but by the time we finished, the sun was out, the mountains were clear and the sky was cloudless.
If you ask LT what his favorite part of his trip was, he says without hesitation, "looking at the sail boats with you mommy". That makes my heart melt. It was just a few minutes of our whole vacation, and I had no idea when I suggested it how much he would love it. We went over to Frisco to the Boathouse (an outdoor bar/restaurant) on Sunday night and watched the sail boats come in. It was a windy afternoon and a bit stormy, so there weren't very many boats to see, but apparently the few we saw were pretty special to him. Above, he was watching a speedboat get loaded onto a trailer.
Last, but not least, mountain biking. Occasionally Bri and I have the chance to go mountain biking, LT always wants to come. I loaded our mountain bikes onto my car Friday with LT and he insisted we bring his so he could go with us. I put it in the trunk and thought we could convince him that mountain biking was riding your bike in the mountains on pavement. Nope, too smart for mom. So, last night, we took him up on the mountain across from Baba's house and off he rode down a hill. I was terrified of course, but Bri insisted I not hold on and just let him go. He did fine. It was a short, but successful mountain ride.

No comments: