Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Ramblings of a sleep deprived and love struck new father



Although our experience at the hospital has been absolutely wonderful the food here leaves a bit to be desired so I went to Chipotle to pick up lunch for my wife and me. The manager noticed the baby bracelet on my wrist and, after congratulating me, he insisted that my wife’s lunch was on the house. This seemingly small gesture really touched me – maybe because I really love me some free food - but I think that more than anything it touched me because the overwhelming volume of kindness I’ve recently been exposed to finally sort of sunk in.

Everyone has been so nice. Nearly from the moment he was born friends and family have been calling, emailing, visiting and bringing flowers and food. The hospital staff has been great (sure it's their job but they go above and beyond) and even total strangers are just plain friendly.

I think people are basically good at their core. All too often, however, the daily grind of life interferes with that goodness and we can be less than courteous to one another (I know I've been there). But a new baby seems to bring out the best in people and remind them of the simple goodness within themselves and in others. For me, being in the middle of it is a powerful and touching experience. We'd all do well to let down our guard and try to allow that goodness to spill out into the rest of our lives the way we do when a new little baby is around.

No comments: