Saturday, August 13, 2016

Work–family balance

I'm very grateful to have a good job that affords me a pretty good work-life balance. It doesn't always work out perfectly but I'm generally able to hold down my decent and mostly rewarding job and still be a real part of my family's life. 

I do travel some for work, however, which is a bit of a mixed blessing. On one hand, the travel is definitely more of a stress on the work–family balance than the typical day-to-day work and can be hard on all of us. On the other hand, the travel often accompanies the more interesting and engaging aspects of my work and the opportunity to visit different parts of the world is truly amazing - just this year for work I've been to Buenos Aires, San Francisco, Vancouver, New Orleans (the family did come along for some of that) and Berlin

Perhaps it was motivated by some guilt at leaving again, or maybe it was just trying to put a personal human touch on things, but I decided to put baby Blane into a presentation I gave at an Internet Engineering Task Force meeting during a recent trip. A friend was nice enough to share the photo of me presenting above and a copy of the slide from the presentation is below. 


No comments: