Saturday, March 14, 2009

St. Paddy's Day Parade

Kari is working today which means LT and I were left to our own devices again. We decided to head downtown to see the St. Paddy's Parade. In an attempt to avoid the crowds, we parked over on Little Raven St. and walked the short ways into lower downtown. We crossed the pedestrian bridge next to a group of girls, probably in their mid or early 20's, who were discussing the merits of "day drinking" at the same time LT and I were talking about the different baaboses (dogs) we saw. I suddenly felt very old but not necessarily remiss that I wasn't going to be taking part in the day drinking myself. There seemed to be three distinct groups of people at the parade today - 1) people with their kids, 2) drunk people, and 3) people who were working towards being in group #2. Group #1 was probably the majority (it was still before noon) and I was quite content to be in that group myself.

First stop was Union Station but we didn't find anyone we knew so we kept moving.

A sign of the times?

Though the miracle of modern communication technology I managed to find Peter & Amelia as well as Eric & Joss among the sea of white people wearing green.

Joss had some beads and I asked her if her dad had had to do anything degrading to get the beads for her and she politely but earnestly responded, "yes."

We spent most of our time at the parade just outside the Celtic Tavern which is where, two and a half years ago over a scotch and a cigar, Eric and I first shared with one another the news of our impending fatherhood.

No comments: