Tuesday, June 4, 2019

LTs birthday party

For his birthday this year, LT just wanted a sleepover with 5 of his best buds.  Brian, at the last minute, decided (with my encouragement) to go back east to his college lacrosse teams championship game (unprecedented!) So, it was me and 7 boys, which wasn't going to work given my car doesn't fit that many.  I pawned the two younger ones off on my parents and just had the 5 older ones. Our plans were altered due to weather, but we still made due.  They took the hose to the trampoline, we ordered take out pizza and due to my forgetfulness of picking up the paid for cupcakes, we opted for going out to ice cream.  
This pizza was one of the biggest I have ever seen.  

I woke up at 7:30 in what I thought was a quiet sleeping house.  Little did I know that they had set an alarm and had already watched an ENTIRE movie by the time I woke up.  By 8 they were ready to go to the pool (doesn't open until 10).
And so I don't forget this story, I am writing it here.  We made a LARGE entrance into the ice cream store.  Loud, obnoxious, wild, you name it.  I ran into some friends at the store and apologized for our grand entrance to which they replied, "there was just a group of 5 boys in here a few minutes ago, all glued to their phones, not talking to one another.  Your group is such a breath of fresh air into what childhood should be."  Whew, wonderful perspective.  This IS how kids should be.  They should be able to be tweens, chatty about their lives, a little mischevious, testing boundaries.  They should NOT be on their phones ignoring each other.  I absolutely love the moms in this little group and part of the reason is that we have similar beliefs about phones and screen time.   They will all have phones before long, but I hope we have taught, and modeled, appropriate etiquette for being around friends and others. 


No comments: