Friday, April 20, 2018

There are Always Helpers



This week I was reminded of a quote I love by Fred Rogers. Its a quote I read a lot and tell the boys when we have challenges or scary things happen. "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping."

Helpers...there are always helpers. I reminded myself of that all day Monday when I felt like the world was collapsing on us. Looking back, I can laugh, but at the time, I had to take things one step at a time, one breath at a time. There are helpers when your baby has a 104 degree fever and needs to go to the Dr (fluid in his lungs, ear infections, wheezing and borderline needing oxygen). There are helpers when your car is broken into, your wallet is stolen and a stolen TV is left randomly in your garage. There are helpers when your kids have 3 activities at the same time and you are a single mom for the week. There are helpers when you can't get your sick child's prescription filled because your wallet was stolen and you have no money or credit cards. There are helpers when you are crying because life is overwhelming at times. There are helpers when you child coughs so hard at his brothers performance that he vomits onto another parent. There are helpers when your children are randomly filmed for a news story and want to stay up late to watch it. And there are helpers when your parents leave their passport at home on their way to Zimbabwe for a month.

Our world is filled with such amazing and kind people, but in the midst of chaos and fear, its hard to take a step back and remember all the good. This week was a good reminder to me to thank those that help so much. Thank you to my helpers this week (Brian for flying home from his conference early, my parents for helping out when I had no money to get B his meds, my friends for helping drive my kids around and being the emotional support they were this week, the police for their quick response, our pediatrician for helping B feel better quickly, and the DMV for their quick service. When I look at the list of helpers and look at the list of people who did harm, it quickly becomes obvious that good prevails.



No comments: